Reading: Chapter 1, Section 1, 2, 7, 8 and 9 of the Mackie Reading (in the coursepack)
1. What is Mackie's thesis re:objective vaules? What does he take them to include? How intially appealing do you find this thesis?
2. Whats the 1st order/2nd order distinction? (pg 16)
3. What is the 1st 2nd order type of subjectivism mentioned in section 2? How does Mackie's view differ?
4. Whats the arugment from relativity?
5. Why can it not be that "the mere occurence of disagreements ... tells against the objectivity of vaules"?
6. What is Sidgwick's objection?
7. What is the response to Sidgwick?
8. What are the two parts to the argument fro queerness?
9. Whats intuitionism? Why is the objectivist committed to it? Is this a bad thing for the objectivist?
10. Whats Price's response to the queerness argument?